By far, the most important component of any doorway security kit is the steel striker plate. It is the component responsible for absorbing most of the force.
The striker plate performs (2) critical door security functions:
- Diffuse the force of the kick across a wider area
- Reinforce the 1″ of soft wood holding the deadbolt in place
Competitors provide longer striker plates (48″-90″) and claim their longer units better distribute (diffuse) force. Conceptually and to a point, this is accurate, but our mechanical engineering analysis proved that with Door Devil’s Arch & Fillet design no force is experienced outside 18” in either direction from the center point of the unit.
Which means our shorter 36″ strike plate provides maximum protection when tested against 2,000 lbs of force.
- With Door Devil’s Arch & Fillet configuration, 36” is the optimal length.
- Anything shorter than 36″ does not maximize diffusion of the force.
- Anything longer than 36″ is overkill from a materials, functional, and cost perspective.